Pages

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

good stuff

I love New Year's since it's usually just our family huddled against the Texas cold (y'know, this 60 degree weather!) playing Scrabble. But I have trouble adjusting to all of the switches that come with it. For the past year, I've been continually dating things as a-year-that-isn't-2013. And just as today seemed to be humming along well, I was knocked with a new gasp--it's 2014. A whole new year to adjust to! Yikes!

C.S. Lewis once noted that many of our troubles in "getting used to time" are reminders that we really don't belong to this realm. I love that. It reminds me of Ecclesiastes 3:11; "He has made everything beautiful in its time. Also He has put eternity in their hearts, except that no one can find out the work that God does from beginning to end."

With that said, I thought it would be fun to jot down some of my favorite reading-scourings from this year. (More fun for me, really, since I love links! And hence the title of this post.)

Delighting in Delight by Tim Challies. Completely precious reminder of gratefully receiving grace!

The Gospel vs Moralism by Tim Keller. Totally convicting. I suppose the main thrust-audience would be designated teachers of the Word, but I found it useful as well. Awesomeness!

Comparisons and the Body of Christ by Rachel Sue. One of the most encouraging things I've read all year! Great thoughts on 1Corinthians 12.

In the Shadow of the Son by Michelle Lesley. This is masterful. I can't say too much, because it would spoil what is an amazing look at Scripture. As my sister once said, "The Bible is the only book truly without plot holes!"

Is It Real? by John MacArthur. This was an interesting look at proofs that "follow" salvation, out of 1John.

(I feel rather bad for not putting these in any sort of order! Oh, well!) Hope that your new year's celebration is completely wonderful as the time travelling goes on! May He be your Vision today and ever and always!

Now, I'm off to go wrestle with the calendar. Where did Monday go?!

No comments:

Post a Comment